Saturday 24 May 2014

Research that Benefits Children and Families—Uplifting Stories

                I believe that a positive example of the effects of research on both children and families are the recent studies and awareness about postpartum depression. Until very recently, mental illness of any kind was a very taboo and a very hush hush conversation. There was a very negative stigma associated with mental illness and disorders and people often dealt with their problems in secrecy, feeling shame and embarrassment. It is very refreshing to see people talking openly about their difficulties related to mental illness. There are advertisements reaching out to help those in need, schools are providing information and support to students and members from the community and media are talking candidly about their experiences. Some light has finally been shed on issues that have been hiding in the dark for far too long.
                In 2006, Brooke Shields wrote a memoir entitled “Down Came the Rain” depicting her struggle with postpartum depression. It hit media sources full force, especially when she appeared on Oprah to discuss her story further. She received a lot of negative backlash even from celebrities and the media. She also received a lot of praise and positive feedback commending and thanking her for her courage in telling her story. As an advocate for the disorder, Brooke Shields wanted to spread awareness “so that women in her situation would get help sooner rather than later”. Research has since boomed and more and more women and families have come forward to share their stories. As a result people are more aware and help is more readily available than ever before. 

The following list of websites offer great information about postpartum depression and support:

4 comments:

Waldenu said...

I too see people speaking much more openly in regards to mental disorders such as post partum, OCD, depression. It is wonderful that so many can now speak without feeling there will be some stigma attached if they do. I think our country is severely lacking in mental health support so I thin this research is a step in the right direction.

Unknown said...

Postpartum depression is definitely a topic that isn't discussed enough. After the birth of my second child, I just wasn't able to get back in the swing of things. I went from being a energetic self motivating multi-tasker, to a withdrawn lethargic crier. All I remember thinking was, what's wrong with me. I shared my concerns with my doctor at my 6 week appt. just to have them dismissed and explained as now being the mother of 2 children. I wasn't until a older and wiser friend of mine suggested a 2nd visit to the doctor where she accompanied me as backup (now my child was 9 weeks old) and she took the lead in explaining she had suffered form postpartum depression after the birth of her first child and my behavior was almost identical to hers.

In the end everything worked out, however, the real thanks goes to my friend for caring enough to notice and recognize something was very wrong.

Unknown said...

I think it was a great idea how you pinpointed one issue about depression and researched it. I remember Brooke Shields coming to terns with her postpartum depression. It was an eye opener for a lot of mother's who were ashamed at first. Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Rhiannon

Postpartum depression is an issue that definitely affects children, however indirectly. Children whos mother's experience this disease suffer because of the non-actions of them. The parent uncontrollably suffers because of imbalances, but having the courage to admit the issue is how the child is spared. If acceptance does not take place then the baby is susceptible to numerous emotional and physical factors. The book by Brooke Shields depicts real life in the face of adversity and shows no matter circumstances you too can be affected.

Post a Comment