Friday 6 June 2014

Research Around the World

For this week’s blog assignment, I decided to explore the link http://www.ecdvu.org/ssa/major_reports.php, for the Early Childhood Development Virtual University. The site lists many projects related to the early childhood field that are currently taking place in countries of Sub-Saharan Africa.

What are some of the current international research topics?
I found two research studies that I found particularly fascinating, both of which focused on using local and indigenous stories, teachings and culture to create and supplement an early childhood education curriculum. I also found a research study, looking to provide a developmental framework for orphaned and vulnerable children in Ghana. This topic spoke to me as it is closely linked to my research simulation looking at abandonment and attachment in early childhood education. Although there were many projects listed on the website these are the three that stood out to me the most.

What surprising facts/insights/new ideas about early childhood did you gain from exploring this international early childhood website?
One insight I learned in researching the website is the amount of work that is being dedicated to the early childhood field. This includes support to families and children dealing with HIV and Aids, involving fathers in early childhood care and development, strategies and support to dealing with poverty, to parent training and enrichment. I was truly blown away by the amount of research and studies dedicated to this field.

What other noteworthy information did you find on this website?
Along with all of the research listed above, I also found studies involving nutrition. One study in particular focused on the care and nutrition of two motherless babies.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems that we are trying to redeem ourselves from the past, I mean; we heard about so many stories where we (researchers, even though some of us are still youngsters in the field) use indigenous and vulnerable people for our advantages. Now I can see that there are people willing to help the less fortunate. I am glad to hear about the involvement in the child's nutrition; nutrition is another important factor in the child's healthy development.

Waldenu said...

HI Rhiannon, I think it's great that indigenous stories are being incorporated into the curriculum. Up until recently in many cases you can see the loss of traditional culture, languages and identities. I think it is important for all children to be aware of their cultures and it is great to expose children to other cultures. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I like the fact that the site gave some cultural awareness. Cultural awareness is something that is overlooked sometimes when thinking about the early childhood profession. I like the site dedication to awareness of the early childhood profession. The also give insights to development of children mentally and physically. The more awareness spread internationally about these issues can protect generations to come.

Post a Comment