Tuesday 13 May 2014

Your Personal Research Journey

For my research simulation and study throughout this course I have decided to focus on attachment theory. The subtopics I have chosen to investigate throughout my research are: ways to foster secure and healthy attachment, strategies to help children with insecure attachment issues and finally, the effects of abandonment issues on healthy attachment. In particular, I want to look at the effects of fostering and adoption on secure attachment bonds among children. As I mentioned in my application task this week, this issue is something that speaks to me whole heartedly because in my role as a teacher I have encountered several children with attachment issues and have struggled to help them and their families find strategies to cope with this problem. Many of my students are foster children as a result of neglect and abuse. I want to help these children and families access the healthy loving relationships that they deserve.
              


             So far I have found this simulation process challenging. I knew that I wanted to research the topic of attachment theory, but found it very difficult to break that topic into subtopics that would work well with one another and would be researchable. Dr. Todd suggested using a strategy to implement and then measure its effectiveness for helping the student with attachment issues. I thought this was a great idea but found it very difficult to find a strategy to use that would reach all of my students. Although we have studied attachment theory in this class, I am by no means an expert and didn’t feel comfortable naming a strategy to use because I still need to research this topic. Furthermore, I found myself asking about other issues these children may have other than attachment theory. How do I determine this? I am wondering if any of my colleagues can suggest strategies they have seen work with regards to insecure attachment. Have you taught children with this problem in the past? If so how did you help these children cope and manage their emotions in the classroom or center?

Any insight, support or ideas you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all very much!

0 comments:

Post a Comment