Saturday 11 October 2014

Blog Week 6 Team Building- The Adjourning Phase

At all of the meetings I have participated in within the education field, the adjourning phase usually consists of summing up and restating what was covered during the meeting and also confirms the date for the next meeting or session if applicable. At times, we have also discussed what was not yet addressed and that it will be part of the agenda at the next date. Depending on the sort of meeting, at times “minutes” are recorded by a designated person and these are also looked over and made available to other staff members and committees. When staff members retire, have completed their contract or are moving to another location, often a party takes place to celebrate and say goodbye. We often have speeches, give a gift, and take some time to mingle and reminisce about the year.

When teams are adjourning that will continue to see one another, for example, during summer vacation a smaller celebration often takes place. We usually have an end of year BBQ at my school so that parents, students and staff members alike can get together. We also have a staff golf tournament and potluck at the end of each school year where we celebrate the year and take time to adjourn for the summer. At this event, our school principal often thanks teachers and staff members for their contributions and achievements throughout the year. This includes academic achievement results (test score results) and coaching and extracurricular efforts. Our principal also gives out recognition to staff for years of service with the school Board. I believe that adjourning is an important phase for team building because it allows all staff members time to either celebrate successes, say farewells or reflect on what was achieved and what we are still working towards.  


With regards to adjourning from the group of colleagues I have come to meet and collaborate with during my Master’s Degree, I hope that I will stay in contact with many of the professionals I have met along this journey. After every course we have made a point to thank those who have really helped us grow and who have impacted our learning in responses in our blog responses. I would love to extend an invitation to my colleagues to continue to communicate, share ideas and ask questions within our experiences as early childhood educators.





4 comments:

Unknown said...

Rhiannon,

I enjoyed reading your blog. Thank you for the invitation, it would be wonderful to stay in touch. I look forward to continue working with you in our masters journey.

Sandra

Unknown said...

Rhiannon,
I enjoyed your blog this evening. I like the fact you have an open invitation to colleagues to keep in touch after the completion of the course. I know my life is so fast paced with work, school, and family life, I had to re-evaluate and implement more time management especially for my family.
I would like to communication with you after this class if you don't mind. Thanks for the invite.
Brittney E.

Anonymous said...

A golf tournament sounds like such a fun way to finish up the school year! I have never worked at a school that did anything that big. My school used to have ice cream on the playground at the end of the school day, but that was it. Golf sounds like fun! I hope that the rest of your work experience with the school is that good as well.
RB Fast

Unknown said...

Hello Rhiannon,
I think you have some wonderful incentives at your year end school celebration. I think sometimes having such events can boost the morale of the team and keeps everyone happy and bonding in a positive way throughout the year when they have something so exciting to look forward to. This keeps the team growing and learning together and continuing to be productive for one another.

Post a Comment