Saturday 7 February 2015

Blog Assignment Week 5: Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practic


Recall that in previous courses in this program you have learned about child development, family systems, and the significant influences adult relationships have on children's social, emotional, and cognitive growth and the forming of social identities. Next, think about what you learned about classism, racism, gender stereotyping and sexism, and other"-isms" prevalent in our society. Consider the ways in which these "–isms" influence people's well-being. Now, imagine that you are an early childhood professional who is experiencing one or more of the "-isms" in your personal life. i.e., people are reacting to you with stereotypes and prejudice.
How might such experiences affect your own emotional, cognitive, and physical well-being? How might this impact your work with young children and their families? Describe in detail the consequences you might expect for the children and families with whom you work while you experience specific "–ism(s)" in your own life. Include specific examples either those you have and/or are experiencing or ones you would anticipate.
                Throughout this program we have examined the effects and causes of many isms. We have even discussed the social, emotional and developmental effects they can have on a child’s well-being. During the work throughout this program my definition and understanding about what the term diversity means has deepened. As I have already stated, before within this course I overlooked many of the “isms” and had not at all considered family culture as crucial components that coincide with diversity. It is amazing the influence that we as educators can have on a child’s view of the world. It is our duty to ensure that we are offering unbiased opportunities for children to feel secure, powerful and safe while deciding on and deciphering their roles as individuals. It is important to note that I truly believe that everyone faces some form of discrimination, prejudice, or stereotypes in one way or another. Personally, I have experienced sexism against being a woman. I hate bringing my car to the garage for mechanical work because I feel as though my opinion is often overlooked and ignored. I have faced inappropriate advances and tasteless jokes in my personal and professional life. I believe that my experiences in dealing with this ism could interfere with my work with children and their families because I may take situations dealing with sexism to heart and find being objective difficult. I have shared this experience before but one specific example is when I was asked by a father to only address him and not his wife during conferences etc. If I had news about his son or needed to get in touch with anyone regarding their son I was only supposed to reach out to the father. I found these directions extremely hard to follow because they infuriated me and made me feel as though he felt that women were beneath men. I needed to put my biases and opinions aside in order to benefit the student.

           Children are growing up in a world full of contradicting ideas. They are taught that all people are created equal and therefore should be treated as equals and yet they live in a world in which this is definitely not the case. “In general, children have a deep desire for fairness. They want to be treated fairly, and they have a natural inclination to want the world to be fair for others. When children have the means to think about what they see, hear and read… they are more equipped to analyze their world” (Derman-Sparks & Olsen Edwards, 2010, p.155). It is our duty to show people that this should be the case by teaching an anti-bias curriculum and supporting true diversity within the classroom.

References                                               
Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Rhiannon,
I have had similar experiences as a woman. I still to this day hate going to get my car fixed or even an oil change without my dad or another man because of my past experiences. I found it very interesting to read about your experiences with a family in your program. Having to only communicate with the father would anger me as well. To me, that is saying that he is the only one capable with dealing with these issues and the woman is not. However, as early childhood educators, it is our job to adhere to each family culture, within limits of course. Was this family from a different culture? How did you deal with this throughout the year?

Unknown said...

It is so true that our biases and beliefs can make us feel personally offended when they do not coincide with the families in our service. When this happens we are not open to hear what the needs of the individual child are and the best way to accommodate them. I like when Derman-Sparks and Edwards (2011) say, "It is our job to listen and learn as well as talk, and to initiate the search for common ground and solutions to specific differences" (p. 39). When we can listen as well as communicate our goals then family members tend to be more open to listening as well.

Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, D.C.: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

Miss Minor said...

I like how you stated that children are taught that we live in world were we are created equal, but yet they cannot truly experience this. We should provide our students the opportunity to experience several different biases in the classroom. We should teach them that although we are equal, we are yet different.

Post a Comment