Saturday 27 September 2014

Week 4 Blog : Who Am I As a Communicator?

This week I learned that I often have a very different communication style with work colleagues in comparison to the way I communicate with my friends and family. For the purpose of this week’s task I asked my boyfriend and one of my work colleagues to evaluate my anxiety level during communication, my verbal assertiveness level as well as my listening skills. I was a little bit sad to note that often the strategies I put in place to be an effective communicator and listener in my workplace, I do not use in my own home.
                
Several of the test questions are directed at formal contexts (small group meetings, time management etc.) so I believe that these questions changed the context as well. For example, my boyfriend said that during the anxiety survey, he had to base his answers on what I have shared with him at home. He made comments on presentations, public speaking etc. that he said he knew I probably did well on but at home “was a total mess” in preparation for such tasks. I wonder if responses would have changed had I asked another co-worker and compared the two or if I had asked a girlfriend outside of work rather than a female co-worker. When I looked over the results from a co-worker with regards to the anxiety test, she said that I seem very at ease during meetings and is often impressed by the way I communicate my ideas and opinions in a way that it concise, polite and to the point. When I shared with her that I am very uncomfortable and nervous communicating with others she was shocked. I try very hard to keep my nervousness to myself during meetings, presentations and training but my boyfriend sees the meltdown (Ha!) or nervousness before I head into work.

             
   I noticed in reviewing all of the evaluations that my perception of my communication skills and listening skills differed from home and work and changed depending on what I "allowed" others to see in a professional context versus the comfort of my own home. Chris also mentioned that it was a difficult task because for the anxiety test he thought of me with regards to work while in completing the other two tests he was able to relate to the way I communicate with him. 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Rhiannon,

It seems that you gained some valuable information from the assessments this week. Like you I was made aware of things about myself that I did not know I do when I am communicating with others. Information obtain will assist me in being an effective communicator. I enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment