Thursday 10 July 2014

My Family Culture

Blog: My Family Culture

Imagine the following:
A major catastrophe has almost completely devastated the infrastructure of your country. The emergency government has decided that the surviving citizens will be best served if they are evacuated to other countries willing to take refugees. You and your immediate family are among the survivors of this catastrophic event. However, you have absolutely no input into the final destination or in any other evacuation details. You are told that your host country’s culture is completely different from your own, and that you might have to stay there permanently. You are further told that, in addition to one change of clothes, you can only take 3 small items with you. You decide to take three items that you hold dear and that represent your family culture.

Wow! This week’s question was really difficult and emotional to imagine. I cannot even begin to really think about how stressful and intimidating it would be to leave my home, extended family and friends in such a rush unsure of the outcome. It really put into perspective for me what so many refugees have faced in fleeing their countries in times of turmoil and war. The three items I would bring with me if I had to leave my country behind are first a photo album I have that includes pictures of my childhood, my family, friends, trips I have taken and also pictures of my partner and his family. This item would be so important because it not only tells my individual story but also tells the timeline of our life together. The second item I would bring is a diamond necklace that Chris bought me on our first anniversary. It is not just a piece of jewelry to me but is a symbol of the commitment that we have made to one another. Finally, I would be able to house these two other items in a small wooden box that was made by one of my Grandmother’s friends while she was still living. It is a wood burnt box and depicts an Estonian landscape. I would explain to others that these three items represent a piece of who I am. They portray my family life with my parents and siblings, my family life with Chris and a part of my cultural heritage.





If I was told, upon arrival that I was only able to keep one of the items that I brought with me, I would feel divided. These three things are all very important aspects of my life and who I am and if I was forced to choose one I would feel as though I was being forced to let go of a part of my identity. This experience was very visual. I actually put my three objects in front of me and debated about which I would keep if I was only allowed to keep one. This was a very difficult and emotional experience but was definitely worthwhile in learning exploring the importance of family culture. It was very challenging to narrow my objects down to three and seemed as though it would be an impossible task to limit myself to one object.  




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rhiannon, she mentioned something very significant and that is the current issue or difficulties many families are experiencing because of so many wars. We are fortunate to only pretend that we are going through the same hardship, but they have to endure the agony of not returning to their homes and family. Your three items seem really important for you and just like you; I had to think which ones were the more valuables. For me, my culture and family describes me, these two factors are the ones that shape me to become the woman that I am today.
Having to choose only one was difficult; it took me a while to think which one and came to the conclusion that the family scrapbook was the one, not because it was more important, but because it will be the one with more difficulties to recreate along with all the memories. I know it is difficult to answer this question, but which item will you choose at the end?

Unknown said...

Great Post!!!

You have some very beautiful items. One of my items that I would not be able to depart from was my photo album also. My photo album is filled with family and friends as well and it would be very difficult for me to leave it behind. I feel like my life is inside of this album and if I had to leave it behind all of my memories and special moments would be lost and forever forgotten. I hope and pray that we would never have to endure this because it would be so overwhelming. These items represent our family culture so it would be difficult to give them up.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! I think we all had a hard time putting ourselves in the situation of others that are going through this devastation. Having to choose one item out of the three items that represent family culture is really sensitive to a few people. I wouldn't be able to imagine if i had to leave behind pictures of my family heritage and our home.

Post a Comment