Saturday 15 February 2014

My Supports

First and foremost my boyfriend has always supported my educational endeavors. Deciding to go back to school and take my master’s degree while working full-time was both a huge financial decision and one that has also limited my time at home. After work, I usually have a laptop on my knees either tending to my responsibilities and planning as a classroom kindergarten teacher or completing weekly tasks for my courses at Walden. I love what I do and my boyfriend truly understands and support this passion. I couldn’t be with someone who didn’t not only understand this about me but also love and appreciate my passion as part of my character and who I am.

My parents have always cheered me on with regards to my academic career. I have always marched to the beat of my own drum and they have supported this as well. I am very stubborn and driven, together these two traits combined usually end with me getting an idea in my head and pursuing it in its entirety. After my undergraduate degree, I decided to continue my education by obtaining my educational diploma. When I told my parents I was going to move to Australia with a friend to travel and study, my parents weren’t too excited about the idea. They trust my decisions and support me in all of my choices. I am so grateful to have such great parents.

As supportive as my family and boyfriend are, I am very lucky to have close friends in the field who truly understand my role and responsibilities as an educator. We can share concerns, discuss strategies and just be there for one another to talk, laugh and let’s face it some days cry. I honestly do not know what I would do without these people as my support system. I would truly be lost.

This task was very difficult and to be honest quite emotional. I thought about what it would be like to lose my sense of sight because someone close to me is currently experiencing this. First, I would need tons of emotional support from my family and friends because this would be devastating. Also, I believe I would need an outside source to talk to as well to grieve my loss and to help support me in ways that my family and friends couldn’t. I know that there are social workers and psychologists who are dedicated to helping people deal with sickness and injury and the repercussions it has on one’s life. I would need support to learn how to complete everyday tasks that I once completed independently with ease. I would need support in learning how to live my life again essentially because I use my eyes for everything. I know that my family and friends would be there for me no matter and would stand by and support me no matter how difficult it would be. It would be so hard to lose the independence I have now, I am used to driving myself everywhere I need to go, cooking, cleaning, dressing myself, reading, using my computer… and these things would all now require some form of support (people-to drive me, technology and assistance). Even things that once brought me joy would need to be rethought- for example watching my favorite TV programs, now I would need to listen with video description. My entire life as I know it would change, I couldn’t cope without the people I love and I couldn’t function without various forms of external support.




2 comments:

Tonya Ward said...

Sometimes we take our support systems and abilities for granted. I think this assignment has given us all a new way to look at all the advantages we do have. I appreciate your view of losing the ability to see and just what that lose would take from us. As I mention to another student in our weekly assignments we sometimes forget about the support that we have in our classmates as we continue on this educational journey. So, thank you for being here for me.

Unknown said...

My husband is my best supporter as well just like your boyfriend. I was in the same boat as you deciding to pursue my Master's while working full time and have our first baby. He simply said, "you have to do what makes you happy and what will continue to make you happy." I smiled and signed up the next day. I think that without these supportive partners in life, we would definitely find support from elsewhere, but having people that care about us so much so close to us is so much better! Thanks for the blog!

Post a Comment