Saturday 21 December 2013

When I think of child development…


    
"Childhood is not a race to see how quickly a child can read, write and count. Childhood is a small window of time to learn and develop at the pace which is right for each individual child"
 - Unknown
-       
“  "If a child can’t learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn"
-    - Ignacio Estrada

I really liked these two quotes because I see a correlation between the two of them. I have discussed the importance of differentiated instruction several times throughout the duration of this course. I truly believe that a system involving standardized testing benefits no one. The quote above explains the pressure put upon children and families to perform a set of tasks rather than demonstrate real learning. Children learn when they enjoy what they are doing, that is why play-based learning driven by student questions, wonderings and motivation often takes learning to a place that wasn't even imaginable. When students are pressured into performing when they are not yet ready they often feel resentment, stress and a dislike for school. We want our students to love learning and to feel empowered when they surpass challenges and find success. The second quote made me think about the many teachers who are stuck in their ways and find it difficult to change their teaching style to meet the needs of all of the children in their lives. It is our job as educator’s to find strategies to motivate and reach our students, it is not their responsibility to bend to our teaching style. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Rhiannon, I just wanted to let you know I have enjoyed reading your discussions and blog posts. You are very knowledgeable and I wish you luck as you choose your path, whether it be as a French Teacher (WOW) or a Kindergarten Teacher. I believe by providing children a culturally responsive classroom they will learn and grow through play. Best of Luck to you and Happy Holidays.
Sincerely, Diana

CelesteGuinazu said...

Dear Rhiannon,
I wanted to let you know that I enjoyed learning from you and learning with you during this course. Your discussion posts always encouraged me to think of things from a different perspective, and to go one step further in my thinking. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors and hope we have classes together in the future. Happy Holidays and enjoy some well deserved time off with your family and friends.
I also noticed that we used similar quotes about changing our teaching methods to meet student's needs, rather than expecting students to adapt to our styles. We definitely had similar thinking on that one!
Sincerely,
Celeste

Anonymous said...

Rhiannon,
Thank you for sharing your experiences in your classroom. You really brought a unique perspective to every discussion and I always looked forward to your insights.
I also feel that children need to be taught according to how they learn. Every child is different so every child needs to be taught differently.
I hope that you have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I hope that we continue to learn from each other in classes to come.

Post a Comment